Friday, September 2, 2011

Lost my Mobile Phone: What you should do / Mistakes that you shouldn't do

Yes! I did lose my smartphone today and the worse part is I am out of town. I visited the nearby chemist today to buy medicines for Sinus (I had the worst headache today). However due to rains the place had got a bit slippery and I just slipped on that muddy steps, which coated me with wet mud and grass. It seems I had my phone in my hand which slipped too right from my hand into the mud and grass somewhere. But I was so busy lifting myself up and getting rid of that mud; I hardly remembered my poor phone which must have been somewhere nearby. When I reached back to my town home I was busy popping the pills to get rid of the headache, and then feeling better about it. It was too late when I realized that I lost my phone.

But for more MISTAKE NO.1: Did not use the Mobile Tracker Facility 

I did not provide the alternate cell number it asked for information. Once you provide the alternate number for information, what happens is once you lose your mobile phone, and the person who finds it usually replace the SIM with other SIM. But what happens is as soon as it replaces the SIM, the alternate cell number receives as SMS about the new SIM No. This makes it easy for one to locate the phone and provide the new SIM No to the cops for exact location of new SIM.

However in my case I just did not care enough to provide the alternate Cell number and hence just lost all hopes about finding my mobile phone back. I did not bother to provide this cell number only because I was sure I would never lose my phone, which I did.

So Lessson No.1: If your phone has mobile tracker facility then activate it.

MISTAKE No.2: Completely unaware about losing my cell phone

I was completely unaware that I lost my cellphone even after an hour had passed. It was only an hour or so when someone asked me to check the exact time. Though I may not entirely blame myself for this one yet it would have been better if I would have about losing my phone long way back. Maybe then I would have found it (let's assume).

Lesson No. 2: Always check whether you have your cell phone and keys etc in place whenever you leave one place for other. 


MISTAKE NO.3: Carelessness


Yes I was pretty careless, and I will admit that today. I keep blaming my hubby all the time because he does keep losing things all the time. Though this is the first time that I did so, yet I am sure I have been pretty over-confident that I wouldn't lose things.

Lesson No:3: Be extra careful

MISTAKE NO.4: Lots of hopes

I do have still! I still hope I may find the phone somewhere under the pillow or under the sofa. I visited the place at least 10 times for the whole day with some hopes of suddenly finding my phone twinkling behind a stone or hidden between grass.

Lesson No.4: Don't keep hopes

MISTAKE NO.5: Worrying toooooooo much to disturb my health

Yeah I have been worried a lot! I kept having slight headache the whole day and stayed disturbed. The fact is I am sure I may not be able to sleep tonight and maybe that's why just writing off how it went for me. Did a lot of research and then thought let's tell everybody what they should do and what they shouldn't.

All I remember doing the whole day:

Kept searching for my phone.

Kept worrying about it.

Trying to learn my hubby's reaction over the whole issue (wondering whether he was really mad about it)

And called the Vodafone service provider for deactivation of number. (The only fruitful thing that I think I did for the whole day in this matter).

What to do When you Lose your Mobile Phone


1. Always keep a check on your mobile phone whenever you go outside.

2. Once you return home do check whether you have your phone brought back with you.

3. As soon as you realize you lost your mobile phone, immediately call the Customer Care of your service provider and ask them to deactivate your service. This way your SIM is not misused by anyone. Similarly you can get back your earlier SIM Number by providing details to the Service Provider and just pay a minimal amount for the same. This is really helpful even if you fortunately get your mobile phone back, then you easily activate your SIM. In the similar manner, even if you don't get your lost mobile phone still you get to use your same number. Thus no worries of notifying everyone about your new number.

4. Details that you need to provide while activating your SIM:

- Pan card number
- Photograph
- Address proof
- Alternate Contact number

5. Register a complaint at the nearest police station for mobile theft. This police complaint needs to be done at the police station which is nearer to the place where the theft happened.

6. Collect all the details for your cellphone:

Phone model :
Make:
IMEI Number:
Date and Time when it was stolen:
Email for communication:
Alternate cell number:

7. IMEI Number is present on the box or receipt of phone.

8. If your mobile phone provides the Mobile Tracker facility, activate it by providing the alternate cell numbers asked.

9. If you do not known the IMEI Number of your mobile phone or is lost, immediately dial #06# from your existing cell phone and as soon as you receive the IMEI Number note it down.

10. Keep your cell phone safe, as you don't lose just the cell phone, but you lose with it all the data, passwords, contact, images, videos, messages and much more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sangeeta

    You are right. Even I had not provided my alternate telephone number to use the MobileTracker facility. When I lost my phone I felt complete helpless. But life has to go on.

    Get one new phone and kick start your life. God Bless

    ReplyDelete